Pitchers: Ivan Nova (11-6, 4.41) faces Jimmy Nelson (7-13, 4.45). Ivan is back in the saddle after a hammy tweak. He's posted two strong games back-to-back, and just in time with Gerrit Cole down. He'll be a key in the stretch run and is making the FO look mighty good so far. The only red flag is that Ivan's prone to streakiness; we can only hope this hot spell lasts into October. In six starts this month, Nelson has gone 1-4 with a 9.00 ERA. Though he was roughed up in his two 2016 games (1-0, w/6.52 ERA) against Pittsburgh, he's traditionally solid against the Bucs, slashing 5-2/3.33 in eight career outings.
|Ivan looking to stay on his roll (photo Charles LeClaire/USA Today)|
Lineup: Josh Harrison 2B, Josh Bell 1B, Cutch CF, Gregory Polanco RF, Starling Marte LF, David Freese 3B, Fran Cervelli C, Jordy SS. Nova P. If at first you don't succeed...
- Gerrit Cole tossed in the pen today firing 30 heaters, so working off a mound is a good thing. He prob won't have any rehab starts to knock off the rust as the MiLB season is about to finish up.
- John Sickels of Minor League Ball has his profile of Austin Meadows.
- The Orioles announced that they’ve outrighted Kyle Lobstein to AAA Norfolk. They DFA'ed The Lobster a couple of hours after trading for him. There were no takers on the waiver wires, so he remains their property.
- Po' Wilfredo Boscan didn't make it to September; the Braves outrighted him off their 40 man roster back to the minors.
- It could be worse: The Royals have lost three straight, all by one run (a 10-inning loss, a 13-inning loss and a nine-inning loss in which they had a one-run lead entering the final frame) per ESPN Stats.