- Andrew Simon of MLB.com picks Cutch as one of his six bounce back candidates and has him running in some pretty fast company.
- Marty McFly of Rumbunter wrote a story that had Watson and/or Cutch being pursued by Toronto for prospects, per his source, altho it appears to have never gained much traction.
|Feliz is off to Milawaukee (photo Joe Guzzy/Pirates)|
- The Brewers signed RHP Neftali Feliz to a one-year/$5.35M contract with an extra $1.5M available in bonuses. He's expected to be their closer.
- The Pirates inked switch-hitting 1B/OF Joey Terdoslavich to a minor league deal w/invite. He hit .233/.340/.384 w/14 homers between the Orioles AA & AAA clubs last year. Joey has a lifetime .221 BA in 162 PAs with Atlanta posted between 2013-15.
- Mike Rosenblum of MLB.com chose Tyler Glasnow as the #2 RHP prospect in minor league ball, with RHP Mitch Keller just missing the top ten. Tyler's moving up in the world - his uni # this year is 24 instead of last year's #51.
- ESPN’s Keith Law picked the Bucco farm system as #4, up from #8 last season, though he thinks it's more top-loaded than deep.
|Luebke joins the White Sox (photo USA Today)|
- LHP Cory Luebke, 31, signed with the White Sox. He had a strong season at Indy for the Bucs last year after overcoming a pair of TJ surgeries but was beat up pretty well (nine earned runs in 8-2/3IP) in a brief stint with the big club.
- Po' Brady Dragmire has been DFA'ed by the Rangers. Dragmire, 23, has gone from the Blue Jays to the Pirates to the Rangers to the Pirates back to the Rangers and now to...?
- 1B/3B Andy Marte, 33, died in a car accident. The one-time hot prospect spent most of his career in Cleveland with stops in Atlanta and Arizona, and played in 2011 at Indy as a depth player. He last played in the majors in 2014, spending the last two seasons in Korea.
- RHP Trevor Cahill inked a one-year/$1.75M deal with San Diego. The ex-Cub had offers from the Pirates, Blue Jays, Reds and Rangers, but wanted to be a starter per Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Pittsburgh also showed interest in him as a FA last season when he returned to Chicago.
|Bell will manage in the Yankee system (1985 Leaf)|
- Jay Bell was named the manager of the High-A Tampa Yankees. Jay played (1989-96) and coached at Pittsburgh (2013) with other major league coaching stops at Cincinnati and Arizona.
- Ticket prices will be the same as last season, when they took a big jump. However, the cost will vary due to the dynamic pricing system that takes into account the date and the opponent.
- The draft order has been set - in the first two rounds, including compensation picks, the Pirates have the following slots: #12, #42, #50 and #72.
- Tim Raines, Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez, and Jeff Bagwell were elected into the Hall of Fame.