Lineup: John Jaso RF, Jordy Mercer SS, J-Bell 1B, Gregory Polanco CF, Jose Osuna LF, Phil Gosselin 2B, Gift Ngoepe 3B, Stew C & Tyler Glasnow. All Hands on deck! Cutch, J-Hay and Amore get rest days, no doubt timed to maximize the R&R with tomorrow's game start at 10:10 Eastern Time. The last time Clint featured a clear-the-bench lineup, the Buccos scored a dozen against the Reds, so there's a method behind the madness (tho we'd love to know why Goose is at 2B and Gift at 3B). JJ, btw, becomes the fifth different player to bat leadoff in 2017.
|And batting leadoff... (photo Joe Guzy/Pirates)|
Pitchers: Tyler Glasnow (1-1, 6.97) v Zach Davies (2-2, 6.07). Tyler had a rough first frame last time out and then turned around and tossed five strong innings for his first MLB win. The question is whether that's just part of the roller-coaster ride or real progress; we'll get a better read tonight. He has two problems that are inter-related - Glasnow walks too many guys (17 in 20+IP) and works behind in the count quite often. The volume of pitches takes its toll; his second red flag is that he doesn't get very deep into games. So attacking early and throwing strikes would go a long way to improving his results. Ty has never tossed against the Brewers. Davies is more or less in the same boat. In his first four starts, he was beaten beaten up pretty well, but his last couple of outings have been fairy sharp. He'll need the confidence. In three lifetime starts against the Pirates, he's lasted 10-1/3 IP, given up 15 runs on 18 hits with 11 walks and slashed 0-2/13.06.
- A victory today would give the Pirates their third series sweep of the season and their first over the Brewers at PNC Park since April 17-19th, 2015.
- Another weird game stat: the Buccos are 12-2 playing Friday-Sunday but only 2-14 Monday-Thursday. Gives a whole new meaning to TGIF...
- Pittsburgh has covered the loss of Starling Marte OK so far - they were 6-7 when he played and have gone 8-9 in his absence.
|17 games served, 63 to go (photo Dave Arrigo/Pirates)|
- Looks like it will still be a bit before Fraze gets back into action, and the team has been mum on Freeser and Antonio Bastardo who are both eligible for return from the DL.
- The Bucs will wear Penguin jerseys on the plane trip to the left coast after today's game; the interaction among Pittsburgh's teams is a sweet thing to behold.