Lineup: Josh Harrison 3B, Jordy Mercer SS, Cutch CF, Gregory Polanco LF, Jose Osuna RF, Josh Bell 1B, Fran Cervelli C, Max Moroff 2B & Trevor Williams P. The second-base merry-go-round continues; the rest of the lineup is per SOP.
|Hey - a new second baseman (photo Dave Arrigo/Pirates)|
Pitchers: Trevor Williams (1-1, 5.40) crosses swords with Alex Wood (2-0, 3.28). Williams is picking up Jameson Taillon's torch; it will be Trevor's second Bucco (and MLB) start. He lasted four innings against Cincy last September in a game the Pirates won 7-3. We'll see how long he lasts this time around; he was stretched out in camp, but hasn't gone longer than four IP/69 pitches since then. Williams is used to the role, though. As a starter at Indy last year, he slashed 9-6/2.53 ERA in 19 starts (20 appearances) and was named the team’s MVP. He's never faced the Dodgers, or for that matter, anyone from the NL West. The Dodgers continue the league's toss-a-lefty-at-'em philosophy with Wood, the 12th southpaw foe in 31 games. The Bucs have gone 5-6 in those games with a .219 BA. In his career, Wood is 1-2/3.00 v the Buccos in six outings (five starts) and hasn't met the Allegheny nine since 2015.
- The season hasn't been brutal enough on the roster; Jameson Taillon had surgery for suspected testicular cancer at AGH today, as reported by the Post-Gazette's Stephen Nesbitt and confirmed by the team.
- Indy IFs Max Moroff (.258; eight homers & 17 RBI to lead the Indians) and Chris Bostick (.320, just ran off a 15-game hitting streak) have joined the club; IF Phil Gosselin and C Elias Diaz were sent down. No other moves needed; Goose & Eli have options and all four on the 40-man roster.
|Chris Bostick joins the big club (photo Dave Arrigo/Pirates)|
- Adam Frazier is starting his rehab assignment at Indy tonight. He'll start at second and his playing time will be determined by how he feels rather than an inning limit.
- LA is on a roll, having won 7-of-9 games and they'll have an extra day of rest after yesterday's rainout.
- Brandon McCarthy was considered for today's assignment after being rained out yesterday but the Dodgers opted to give his sore wing a rest and keep the rotation rolling in order.
- On his radio program yesterday, NH said no worries about Cutch; he's hitting the ball well and is a victim of bad BABIP (.224) in the early going. He thinks Andrew is a couple of bloops and bleeders from going on a tear. Per Fangraphs, his walk, whiff and scatter chart rates are similar to his career norms, but the red flag is that his hard-hit rate has trended down in each of the past three seasons.
- The GM added that Trevor Williams got the call today because he's considered the sixth starter and ahead of Steven Brault/Drew Hutchison in the pecking order. Tonight will either earn him at least one more start or maybe reshuffle the pitching deck.
- Bradenton's Mitch Keller has been named Florida State League Pitcher of the Week for May 1st-7th.
- Jeff Locke is making a rehab start for Juniper against the Hi A Bradenton Marauders tonight. He signed with Miami in the off season but was felled by biceps tendinitis during camp and put on the DL; he's just working his way back into pitching shape. Jeff will either work in long relief for the Marlins after rehab or start at AAA New Orleans.
- Root Sports has an app for your cell to catch live-stream Bucco action if you're a cable TV subscriber - unless your cable provider is Comcast or Verizon.