Lineup: Adam Frazier LF, Josh Harrison 2B, Gregory Polanco RF, Josh Bell 1B, Cutch CF, Elias Diaz C, Jordy Mercer SS & Trevor Williams P.
|Trevor is on the bump (photo Pittsburgh Pirates)|
Pitchers: Trevor Williams (3-3, 4.57) faces off against Dan Straily (4-4, 3.59). The 25-year-old righty will be making his seventh start of the season today and is again being called upon to be the stopper. He's been beaucoup solid lately, going 2-1/2.83 in his last five outings. It's a reunion as he was originally selected by the Marlins in the second round of the 2013 draft. Trevor is 0-1 in one career appearance against his old homeys, allowing one run in 2/3 IP on April 30th at Marlins Park. Straily has been steady this year with 69 K in 67-2/3 IP and a 1.094 WHIP while holding opponents to two or fewer run in half his starts (he's surrendered more than three runs twice in 12 outings) and generally takes the game into the sixth and seventh innings. The Pirates handled him OK in April when they scored three times in 5-1/3 IP. Straily is 3-3/3.83 in seven career starts against the Buccos.
- Edgar Santana (1-1-5,1.93) and AJ Schugel (3-1, 4.20) will join the bullpen today. Santana is the Bucco's current hot back-end prospect and AJ was a steady (2-2-1, 3.63) mid-level arm for the Pirates last year. Santana features major league heat, a wipe-out slider and a rapidly progressing change; AJ uses the change as his out pitch. Tyler Glasnow (2-6, 7.45) was sent to AAA to try to get back into the swing of things with Jamo ready to return. Dovydas Neverauskas (0-0, 5.40) also returned after a quick trip up. Santana wasn't on the 40-man, so Indy's Pat Light was DFA'ed to clear a spot.
|Edgar gets the call (photo Dave Arrigo/Pirates)|
- Turn-around artist: John Jaso is hitting .354 (17-for-48) since 5/18 with a .415 OBP.
- Eli has hit safely in all six games that he's started behind the dish.
- Jameson Taillon will be activated and start Monday while Cool Chad will be bumped back to Wednesday into Tyler Glasnow's rotation slot.
- The Pirates are 26-35, the furthest they've been below .500 this season.