- 1982 - Pittsburgh's first two hitters of the game, Omar Moreno and Johnny Ray‚ homered off Houston's Joe Niekro at TRS, the second time in Pirate history that feat had been done. Niekro ended up with the last laugh, though, in a 6-4 Astro win.
|Andy Van Slyke 1988 Donruss Diamond Kings|
- 1988 - Andy Van Slyke, Sid Bream, Jim Gott, Spanky LaValliere and Bobby Bonilla held a players-only meeting before playing San Diego at Jack Murphy Stadium after losing three in a row and falling 7-½ games off the lead. They preached doing it as a team instead of players trying to do it all themselves and won that night 3-2 as AVS homered and stole a base. The big play came with an out in the ninth when C Junior Ortiz withstood a runaway John Kruk collision at home to keep the tying run from scoring. Bob Walk got the win with Barry Jones earning the save. The meeting didn’t help long term; the Mets waltzed away with the crown by winning 100 games to the Bucs’ 85 victories.
- 1989 - Barry Bonds homered in Pittsburgh's 6-4 loss to the Giants at TRS‚ giving him and father Bobby the MLB father-and-son home run record with 408. The Bells (Gus and Buddy) and the Berras (Yogi and Dale) had shared the record of 407.
- 1991 - LHP Felipe Rivero was born in San Felipe, Venezuela. Felipe joined the Pirates in 2016 as part of the Mark Melancon deal and has worked his way up the ladder quickly, going from bridge man to closer. He’s hit 100 on his fastball to go with a wipeout slider and a brutal change, a rare and effective three-pitch toolbox for a back-end pitcher that harkens back to his minor-league days as a starter.
|Wil Cordero 2000 Upper Deck MVP|
- 2000 - Wil Cordero drove in six runs with a pair of long balls to lead the Bucs to a 9-6 win against the Cubs at Wrigley Field. Aramis Ramirez also added a homer against Chicago. Jimmy Anderson went five innings for the win.
- 2004 - Pittsburgh won its tenth straight game 3-1 over the Florida Marlins at Pro Player Stadium as Kip Wells outdueled Josh Beckett. Wells gave up four hits and K’ed eight in a scoreless eighth inning outing and then had to sweat out a shaky Jose Silva save. Abraham Nunez homered in the win. The streak, which was the highlight of an 89-loss season, ended the next day.
- 2005 - Kip Wells scattered four hits and punched out a dozen Phils in a 3-0 complete game victory at PNC Park. Jason Bay provided the big blow with a two-run blast in the fifth while Matt Lawton’s double plated the other score.
|Kip Wells 2005 Donruss Throwback|
- 2007 - Adam LaRoche pounded a pair of homers and a double, driving in three runs and scoring three more as the Bucs dropped the Brewers 6-3 at PNC Park. Xavier Nady added three hits, including a homer of his own. Tom Gorzelanny got the win and Matt Capps the save.