|After a first inning whuppin', Trevo tamed the Rox (photo Pittsburgh Pirates)|
Williams led off the fifth with a dink single and it led to a run two outs later when Cutch's knock chased Starling home to make it 8-3. Trevor made it eight Rox in a row. With two gone in the sixth, Cervy singled and Jordy, who's been swinging an icicle lately, caught a 2-0 fastball and launched it 444' into souvenir-land. Trevo's streak ended at nine batters when Nolan Arenado lost a ball. Scott Oberg took the ball in the seventh. Two hits sandwiched around a walk produced a run and back-to-back grounders plated another. Trevor got two outs - one took 15 pitches - and was yanked after a rap at 104 twirls. Jhan Marinez came in and gave up a run-scoring double; sometimes we think a third of Trevo's runs are scored off relievers. Mike Dunn took the ball in the eighth and survived a Marinez double. Jhan celebrated with a 1-2-3 frame. Jairo Diaz got two quick outs, then a J-Bell triple, plunk, walk and Amore rap added another point; Freeser was gunned down out home trying to score behind Bell. Colorado opened with an infield knock to delay the inevitable.
|Cutch had himself another day (photo USA Today Sports)|
- This was J-Bell's first four hit night; he fell a homer shy of the cycle. Cutch had three raps and two walks; the dynamic duo drove in seven runs and scored four times. Fran added three hits. Starling had two knocks and touched home four times, equaling his career high for a game, and stole two bases.
- Gregory left the game with "left hamstring discomfort."
- The Pirates have won six straight; the Rox win streak was broken at four.
- Jhan Marinez's two-bagger was his first MLB hit (of course, it was only his eighth at-bat; relievers don't get many cuts.)
- The Rox pitchers not only hit a lot of Bucco bats, but they also hit four Pirates batters.
- The Brewers and Cubs lost, so the Pirates are two games out of first in the division and 6-1/2 behind the Rox for the second wild-card.