Lineup: Adam Frazier 2B, Jose Osuna RF, John Jaso LF, Josh Bell 1B, Gregory Polanco CF, Jordy Mercer SS, Max Moroff 3B, Stew C & Trevor Williams P. Let's see - lose two in a row to one of the saddest clubs in baseball, then sit Cutch, J-Hay and Freeser. "Curiouser and curiouser!” cried Alice.
|Trevor tries to right the ship today (photo Pittsburgh Pirates)|
Pitchers: Trevor Williams (3-3, 4.82) tries to salvage a game against Jeff Samardzija (3-9, 4.63 ). Trevor will be making his 11th start of the season and has gone 2-1/3.91 in his last nine starts and eating some innings in his more recent outings. He's slashing 0-1/4.55 in his five starts at PNC Park this season, although his peripherals (1.121 WHIP, one HR/10 innings, two walks/10 innings) have been fine, so he's looking for a little more ball luck today. Williams has never faced the Giants. Samardzija is also looking for a break - his WHIP is 1.143, he averages 10 K/one walk per nine and has no batting split. His Achilles Heel has been the long ball; he's given up 1.4 dingers per game, and that's really hurt him on the road where he's given up 12 of his 16 long flies. Samardzija is quite solid against Pittsburgh, going 4-4/2.90 in 12 starts (23 appearances) although last year the Bucs scored a run per inning (nine IP, nine runs) in his two outings against them.
- Starling Marte will begin his PED suspension rehab today with Class A Bradenton. He's eligible to return July 18th. He'll return to the big club as a LF'er, per Clint.
- In his morning presser, Clint said Amore will still catch when he comes off the DL, but they will discuss priming him for other positions, too.
- Gregory banged three hits off a LHP in game Saturday for only the second time in his career; the last time was in 2015.
- Tough transition: Mad Max is now hitless in his last 16 at bats and hitting .083.
- Beginning tomorrow the Pirates are scheduled to play 16 of their next 23 games on the road. They begin a seven-game trip to Philadelphia and Chicago Monday night and close out the month with a three-city, 10-day excursion to Colorado (July 21-23), San Francisco (July 24-26) and San Diego (July 28-30).