Lineup: Starling Marte LF, Josh Harrison 2B, Cutch CF, Josh Bell 1B, David Freese 3B, Gregory Polanco RF, Sean Rodriguez SS, Fran Cervelli C and Trevor Williams P. Makes sense to give Jordy a blow, and S-Rod is the first guy since Gift Ngoebe that can field the spot off the bench this season. It's a little surprising that Fraze is out; lefties are hitting Zimmermann at a .324 clip this year.
|Trevor takes the bump tonight (photo Joe Guzy/Pirates)|
Pitchers: Trevor Williams (4-4, 4.47) starts of the set against Jordan Zimmermann (7-8, 5.35). Trevo's last start was a no-decision in Pittsburgh’s 5-2 loss to the Reds at PNC Park Wednesday night when he gave up a pair in 5-1/3 IP. He's been pretty good at home lately, putting together a 2.62 ERA in his last four PNC starts and has gone 3-2/3.86 in his last 15 starts. Williams has worked into the sixth inning in six of his last eight starts and has surrendered two home runs in his last nine starts. He's never faced the Tigers. The 31-year-old Zimmermann has had an up-and-down start, but has been solid in three of his four games. He's has been bitten by the long ball bug, usually not a problem in his nine-year career. The Tigers are hoping he has some mileage left on his arm as he's signed through 2020 and due $74M over the next three years (2018-20). Zimm has faced the Pirates three times in his career, holding a 1-2/4.00 line. He spun a six-inning shutout when he faced the Buccos last year.
- Hot hands: David Freese has reached base safely in 15 straight starts, going 20-for-54 (.370) with eight walks and three HBP for a .477 OBP. Adam Frazier has collected 13 hits in his last 26 at bats. He's hitting .420 (21-for-50) with four doubles in 20 games since the All-Star break and has produced five multi-hit games in his last seven starts.
- George Kontos has arrived; Dovy Neverauskas was sent back to Indy.
- Felipe Rivero, after his 41-pitch outing yesterday, will not be available tonight.
- The Pirates went 1-3 against the Tigers last season, losing both games at PNC Park and splitting the two games played at Comerica Park.
- Indy OF Danny Ortiz cleared waivers and was outrighted to Indy.