Lineup: Starling Marte LF, Adam Frazier 2B, Cutch CF, Josh Bell 1B, David Freese 3B, John Jaso RF, Fran Cervelli C, Jordy Mercer SS & Jameson Taillon P. Fraze will take J-Hay's spot and JJ gets Gregory's place in the pasture.
|Jamo will try to end end the Reds voodoo (photo Pittsburgh Pirates)|
Pitchers: Jameson Taillon (6-4, 4.03) opens the Reds set against Homer Bailey (2-5, 8.37). The 25-year-old righthander will be making his 15th start an d is looking for a bounceback after giving a career-high 10 runs (nine earned) in his last start against the Giants. He was due for a regression after stranding runners galore, so let's hope that last outing provided all the correction needed. JT is 1-1/4.91 in four career starts v the Reds and worse this year at 0-1/6.55 ERA in two games this season, losing 7-2 in Cincinnati and receiving a no-decision in a 6-2 Bucco loss at PNC Park. Bailey is seven games into a comeback from elbow surgery and has scattered three strong starts with four whuppings. He's 8-6/3.58 lifetime against the Pirates in 19 games and in nine career starts at PNC Park, Bailey is 5-2 with a 2.58 ERA. Homer has only faced Pittsburgh once since 2014 and was chased after three innings last year.
- RHP Joaquin Benoit has reported and will be available tonight.
- The good news: The Pirates have won five straight games at PNC Park and have gone 6-1 in their last seven. The bad news: They're 1-6 v the Reds and were swept by the at PNC Park in April.
- Bucco All-Star and Cincinnati native Josh Harrison is hitting .326 (14-for-43) with five multi-hit efforts in his last 11 games...In his six games played against the Reds this season, JHay has gone 8-for-22 (.364) with a double, three home runs and five RBI.
- Cutch is two dingers away from becoming the fourth Pirate to lose 200 baseballs. The others are Willie Stargell (475), Ralph Kiner (301) and Roberto Clemente (240).
|Gregory's wheel is just about patched (photo Pittsburgh Pirates)|
- Gregory Polanco ran the bases today and he may return to action this series. J-Hay is recovering after jamming his foot in San Diego but will sit tonight; the injury is considered "day-to-day."
- Kinda the end of an era with Tony Watson and Jared Hughes gone. Converted starters, they appeared in 763 games for the Pirates (Watson - 450, Hughes - 313, 7th and 19th in franchise history) since coming up together in 2011. They slashed 46-29-42/2.77 over that span.
- In case you missed it, the Cubs added ex-Bucco southpaw Justin Wilson to their bullpen. He was sent to the NY Yankees in 2014 for Fran Cervelli.