- 1982 - In his last game, Willie Stargell was penciled in to lead off at TRS by manager Chuck Tanner. Captain Willie beat out a well-placed infield rap against the Expos’ Steve Rogers and was pulled by Tanner, who wanted Pops to end his career with a knock and ovation. It was Pops’ first start since August 9th; he collected fewer than 100 PAs during the season and hit just .233 with three homers during his final MLB lap. The Bucs lost to Montreal 6-1; the team ended the year with 84 wins, good for fourth place, eight games behind the St. Louis Cards.
|The Goose 2017 (photo Pittsburgh Pirates)|
- 1988 - IF Phil “Goose” Gosselin was born in West Chester, Pennsylvania. The Bucs sent minor league P Frank Duncan to Arizona for utilityman Gosselin, who was hoped to take the place of Sean Rodriguez off the bench in 2017. But alas, he sent most of his time at AAA Indianapolis. In 28 games for the Pirates, he played 1B-2B-3B, but hit just .150, then was released in August and claimed by the Rangers. Goose is now with the Atlanta organization.
- 1990 - The Bucs’ Jerry Reuss‚ in his only start of the year‚ gave up one earned run but had a no decision in a 6-3 loss to the Mets in his last MLB appearance. Reuss joined the MLB’s four decade club (1969-90) and closed out his career claiming 220 wins without a 20 win season‚ a baseball oddity shared only with Milt Pappas and Frank Tanana among 200 game winners.
- 1993 - IF Kevin Kramer was born in Turlock, California. He was the Bucs second round draft selection in 2011 out of UCLA. After hitting .297 at Altoona in 2017 and .311 at Indianapolis in 2018, he was added to the 40-man roster and called up to the big club in September, hitting just .135 in limited action.
- 1996 - The Pirates named Gene Lamont, who had served as the Chicago White Sox field boss from 1992-95, to replace Jim Leyland as skipper. He led the club from 1997-2000, putting up a 295-352 record. He’s currently the bench coach for the Detroit Tigers.
|Gene Lamont 2001 Topps|
- 2010 - The Pirates finished the season with a 17-64 record on the road after suffering a 5-2 loss to the Florida Marlins at Sun Life Stadium, with the defeat going to Brian Burres. The Bucs' away-from-home record equaled the MLB low water mark set by the 1963 Mets.
- 2013 - AJ Burnett was chased in a seven-run third inning that saw 11 Cardinals bat as St. Louis took the opener of the NLDS at Busch Stadium by a 9-1 score. Adam Wainwright went seven innings and struck out nine for the Redbirds. The Pirates only mustered four hits, two by Andrew McCutchen, with Pedro Alvarez’s homer providing the lone Bucco tally.