|Archie's struggles continue 2019 Topps Opening Day|
Well, Chris Stratton isn't pitching tomorrow; he came on in the sixth after Archie burned through 92 tosses. And Cervy didn't last much longer; Eli came in after Fran took a foul to neck area batting the inning before. A walk, fly and not-so-good bunt back to the box by Marquez that became a 1-6-4 DP made for an easy frame. Reynolds walked for all the Pirates action. Stratton gave up a walk and single in the seventh, but a caught stealing kept things calm. Pittsburgh continued to flounder against Marquez. The Rox used three eighth-inning singles to add another tally to the board and make it 5-0. The Bucs didn't get a ball out of the infield, though Jake Elmore did come close to ducking a tag at first. He lost the call, annoying Clint, who eventually was bounced; he prob had more frustrations than a call at first to get off his chest. Michael Feliz got the ninth and went 1-2-3. Carlos Estevez took over - Marquez was at 104 pitches - and a walk and error left runners at second and third with two gone before a whiff ended it.
Archie's performance was iffy at best; still too many walks and pitches, but he didn't have much chance tonight; Marquez was on top of his game. So tip o' the cap and go after 'em tomorrow, whoever may be pitching.
- Bryan Reynolds saw the ball well tonight; he was 1-for-2 with a double and lineout to go with a pair of walks. Only three other guys reached base besides him on two singles and an error
- Gregory was scratched from today's lineup because of "finger discomfort." Cervy was removed as a precaution after suffering an upper chest contusion.
- The Pirates are 1-6 when Arch starts this year; they game they won was 7-5. They were 5-5 in his 10 Pittsburgh starts in 2018.
- The announced attendance: 12,265.
- The Pirates have dropped four straight series openers, but have taken two-of-three after the smoke cleared w/the Rox set TDB.
- Harold Ramirez, the Bucco OF prospect sent to Toronto w/Frankie Liriano and Reese McGuire in 2016, hit his first MLB homer tonight with Miami.