- Ryan Lavarnway was profiled in the Jewish Chronicle by Adam Reinherz about the role the Buccos signed him up for in the past season, his time with Team Israel, and more.
- One hole the Pirates are expected to try to fill during the off season is lefty reliever; they have southpaw closer Felipe Vazquez, long man Steven Brault, and nada in between. Here's the list of available lefty relievers, compiled by MLB Trade Rumor's Jeff Todd, if you're curious about who's on the market (it's not very deep).
|Geoff Hartlieb 2018 Go Sports|
- One name for you to follow in the Arizona Fall League is RHP Geoff Hartlieb. The 24-year-old reliever throws in the high 90's and has touched 100, but is still looking for a second pitch to trust and a little more control. He went 8-2-10/3.24 at Altoona during the season with 56 K in 58-1/3 IP and a high ground ball rate. The 6'5" hurler was a 29th round pick in the 2016 draft from Lindenwood U in Missouri.
- Baseball America profiles the best hitter, pitcher and sleeper in each team's system. Among the Buc pups, they were respectively Kevin Kramer, JT Brubaker and Jonah Davis.
- The Reds have a new field boss. Cincy hired Giants VP of player development David Bell as their skipper, signing him to a three-year contract with a club option for a fourth season. Bell, 46, managed in the minors and was on the staffs of the Cards (bench coach) and Cubs,so he knows the division. He's also a native of Cincinnati, so you can go home again.
- In the junior circuit, the Anaheim Angels named ex-Detroit Tiger skipper Brad Ausmus as their new manager, taking over for Mike Scioscia.
- Boston and the LA Dodgers will meet in the WS. Not only are they arguably the two best teams in baseball this year, but #1 and #3 in payroll (Bosox - $228.4M, Dodgers - $199.6M).