- Not exactly on the radar: Robert Murray, The Athletic's Baseball Insider writer, reported that the Bucs have brought back LHP Frankie Liriano and that the "Pirates' agreement...is a minor-league deal (w/NRI) worth $1.8 million with an additional $1.5 million available in incentives." He also reportedly has opt-out dates. Francisco has posted a 19-32/4.89 line since 2016, his final Bucco campaign, though he has developed as an effective LOOGY, limiting lefties to a .210 BA in 2017-18. He's being brought in to audition as a reliever and maybe as another guy who can fill in as an opener if the Bucs go that route.
- Dan Szymborski of Fangraphs has the Bucco ZiPS for 2019. Lotta 1-2 WAR guys; not so many 2-3.
- Matt Kelly of MLB.com takes a stab at choosing 12 dark horse candidates for the Cy Young; Jamo is among them.
- Fran Cervelli was named as a member of MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince All Under-Rated Team.
- Jonah Keri of CBS Sports takes a look at the Bucco payroll; he's not a fanboy of the thrifty approach.
- Bob Friend, righty workhorse and partner of Vern Law in the 50's and mid-sixties, passed away Sunday at the age of 88. His SABR bio is here.
|A Bucco through and through 1963 Topps|
- Need fireworks with your ballgame tickets? Then u need to get seats for Friday, May 24th (Dodgers); Friday, June 21st (Padres); Saturday, August 3rd (Mets); Friday, August 23rd (Reds) and/or Friday, September 27th (Reds) for your Zambelli/Bucco twin bills.