Pitchers: RHP Trevor Williams (5-3, 4.18) takes on RHP Clay Buchholz (1-1, 1.88). Willy started the year torrid but has been horrid in his past seven starts, going 1-2/6.06 and giving up seven dingers in 35-2/3 IP. This may be the group to begin his bounce back against. Last year, he was 1-0 in two starts, allowing two runs in 11 innings of work. Buchholz has always had talent but has yo-yo'ed performance-wise during his career, and this is just his fifth start of the campaign. His peripherals suggest a regression crash is due w/velo dip to 91, 3.35 FIP, .215 BABIP and 94.9 strand rate. There's not much past history to go on; he last faced the Bucs in 2014 and was chased early.
|Willy tries to turn it around tonight (photo Pittsburgh Pirates)|
Lineup: Josh Harrison 2B, Chris Dickerson LF, Starling Marte CF, Colin Moran 3B, Elias Diaz C, Josh Bell 1B, Gregory Polanco RF, Jordy SS & Williams P. Well, Clint said it would be a rotation, and Austin Meadows sits today. J-Hay, we're glad to see is back in action; Cervy is not (see notes).
- Amore has gone through two days of pretty strenuous workouts and says he feels good, but the Buc medicos have yet to clear him for action. His availabilty from the bench tonight is TBD.
- Arizona manager Torey Lovullo says he doesn't believe in retaliatory beanballs and that S-Rod was plunked accidentally in the ninth, so at least he's keeping the pot on simmer, unlike the ol' Kirk Gibson days.
- Yah, pretty bad. The Pirates have dropped seven of their last nine games, 12 of their last 16, and gone 6-17 in their last 23.
- J-Bell has reached base safely seven times in his last eight plate appearances via six walks and one hit.
- Travis Sawchik of Fangraphs has the scoop on how Corey Dickerson self-corrected his hole against high heat.