|Sometimes a run is one too many to surrender (photo Joe Guzy/Pirates)|
The Pirates certainly don't seem too concerned about job security. The guys that are starters aren't looking over their shoulders, and why should they - none of the young guys are closing the gap, even with a couple of bench spots likely to be opening up next year. Maybe a little competition in 2018 might sharpen their focus a bit.
- Starling Marte had two hits and two stolen bases tonight.
- The Pirates have lost seven games in a row and 12 of their past 13. In those 12 losses, they scored 15 total runs. Pittsburgh has now gone 63 inning, seven full games, w/o holding the lead.
- Trevor Williams went five IP, giving up a run on three hits and two walks with six K after 87 pitches.
- Ivan Nova tossed his bullpen earlier today with no calf problems, so he's still in line to start Friday.
- 13,929 was tonight's announced attendance. That's the Pirates’ third-lowest crowd this year, ahead of a couple of early April dates.
- Yoo Je Ho has a two-part interview (Part 1, Part 2) in the Yonhap News (English version) with Jung Ho Kang re: his lost season and future.
- Zack Von Rosenberg, a sixth-rounder who the Pirates drafted out of HS in 2009 as a RHP and signed a $1.2M bonus, walked on to LSU as a football player in 2016 after he was released by the Bucs. He was recruited by the Tigers in his prep days and now the 6-5, 250 pounder is a punter/QB.
- KC's Alex Gordon tonight hit HR #5,694 of 2017, the most ever for a single MLB season.