- 1899 - The Pirates rolled over the Philadelphia Quakers by an 18-4 count at Exposition Park. OF Ginger Beaumont went 6-for-6 at the top of the order, scoring six times, without hitting a ball out of the infield. Rookie second baseman Jimmy Williams drove in three runs with a pair of triples.
- 1910 - Deacon Phillippe hit a second inning inside-the-park grand slam off Brooklyn’s Fred Miller as part of a 14-1 win at Washington Park. Mel Stottlemyre was the next pitcher to hit an inside the park grannie - in 1965! The Pirates swept the Superbas in a four game set.
- 1911 - The Pirates paid St. Paul of the American Association $22‚500 for RHP Marty O'Toole‚ the most expensive purchase of a player to that date. Barney Dreyfuss spent another $5‚000 for his battery mate Bill Kelly. In 1912‚ O'Toole went 15-17 and lead the NL with 159 walks. He was out of Pittsburgh by 1914, winning a total of 26 games while walking 300 batters in 599-1/3 IP. Kelly was a back up catcher, hitting .290 for Pittsburgh and out of MLB after 1913.
- 1939 - Boston committed seven errors in a 9-3 loss to the Bucs at Braves Field, allowing five unearned runs to cross the plate. One frustrated Bee’s fan jumped out of the stands and took a swing at Braves’ catcher Al Lopez after he dropped a popup. But it wasn’t entirely bad glovework. The Bucs banged out 13 hits, led by Lee Handley’s 3-for-4 effort.
- 1964 - Willie Stargell hit for the cycle as the Bucs beat the Cards 13-2 at Busch Stadium. Pops had three RBI and four runs; Bill Mazeroski drove in five runs with a homer and double, and Jerry Lynch went long and brought home three runs.
- 1977 - RHP Ryan Vogelsong was born in Charlotte, NC. He worked five years for the Pirates (2001, 2003-06), going 10-19 with a 6.00 ERA. He took a hiatus to Japan, but came back in 2011 to his original team, the SF Giants, and pitched strong ball for the G-Men, earning an All-Star spot. 1988 - In a trade of outfielders that never quite panned out for the Pirates, Pittsburgh sent Darnell Coles to Seattle for Glenn Wilson.
- 1993 - The Bucs scored four times in the ninth to rally past the Braves 8-7 at TRS. Jay Bell drove in the first run in the final frame, and with two outs, Dave Clark’s single got the Bucs within a run. The next hitter, Kevin Young, dropped a soft liner into right center, plating Lloyd McClendon and Clark, who scored all the way from first, to give Blas Minor the victory.
- 2009 - The Pirates traded Adam LaRoche to the Boston Red Sox for two minor leaguers, shortstop Argenis Diaz and pitcher Hunter Strickland.
- 2009 - The Pirates used five homers to hold off the Brewers 8-7 at PNC Park. Brandon Moss went long in the ninth off Mitch Stettler for the walk off win; Ryan Doumit added a pair of blasts while Andrew McCutchen and Garrett Jones each had one.
Monday, July 22, 2013
July 22 - Willie Stargell's Cycle, Five Homer Comeback & More...
Ginger, Deacon, Stargell's Cycle, Trades, Rallies, Ryan Vogelsong, Five Homers...