- Gerrit Cole was the first Pirate rookie to win a playoff game since Tim Wakefield won two (both complete games) in the 1992 NLCS. The rookie topped it off when threw four pitches at least 100 MPH, becoming just the fourth starting pitcher in the past five postseasons to clock 100 MPH on the radar.
- His bat was noteworthy, too. Cole was also the first Bucco pitcher to chase home a post season run since Doug Drabek on October 9th, 1991, against the Atlanta Braves at TRS, and the first Pirate hurler since Ray Kremer during Game Three of the World Series on October 10th, 1925, to have an RBI in his post season debut.
- El Toro became the first Pirate since Willie Stargell in 1974 against the LA Dodgers to go yard in back-to-back playoff games. Pedro is the first Pittsburgh player to homer in the opening two games of a playoff series (Stargell's were in Games Three & Four).
- In three playoff games, Cutch is 5-for-11 with three walks and only one K. For all that, he's still without an RBI and has scored once.
- Starling Marte is the first Bucco to steal a post season base since Barry Bonds on October 11th, 1992, vs Atlanta at TRS.
- Pittsburgh has six homers in three playoff games.
- Since the Wild Card game began last season, all four winners of Wild Card game lost Game 1 of Division Series. Last year's winners were Baltimore, which lost in the ALDC 3-2, and the St. Louis Cards, which won the NLDS and lost in the NLCS 4-3.
- Game Three will start at 4:37 pm at PNC Park and be televised by TBS. Game Four will start at 3:07 pm on Monday at PNC Park and will also be televised by TBS.
Saturday, October 5, 2013
Firsts and Factoids...
A few random facts and firsts...