- November 1, 1907 - LHP Larry French was born in Visalia, California. He started his 14 year career in Pittsburgh (1929-34) and had a line of 87-83/3.50, winning 15 or more games four times as a Pirate. French won 197 games before he hung ‘em up and was an All-Star for the Cubs in 1940.
- November 1, 1956 - 1B/OF Gary Redus was born in Tanner, Alabama. Redus played off the bench for five years (1988-92) with three division winning teams as a Pirate, hitting .255 in 398 Buc games.
- November 2, 1881 - The American Association was founded. The members were the Brooklyn Atlantics, Cincinnati Red Stockings, Louisville Cardinals, Philadelphia Atlantics, Pittsburgh Alleghenys, and St. Louis Brown Stockings. The AA was considered a major league organization, though the Alleghenys bolted to the NL after the 1886 campaign and the league folded after the 1891 season.
- November 2, 1955 - Bobby Bragan was named the new Bucco field manager‚ replacing Fred Haney.
- November 2, 1966 - OF/1B Orlando Merced was born in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico. Merced played from 1990-96 for the Bucs with a .283 BA, coming in second in the Rookie of the Year voting in 1991.
Saturday, November 2, 2013
11/1-2: Larry French, Gary Redus, The AA, Bobby Bragan, Orlando Merced...
Larry French, Gary Redus, The AA, Bobby Bragan, Orlando Merced...