- First base: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe examines the Bucs first base choices; nothing really new here. Eye on Baseball's Max Axisa writes that the Bucs and Kendrys Morales have a "mutual interest," but we think the combination of Scott Boras looking for a top dollar contract and the loss of a first round pick works against that interest. Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs looks at all the players available and concludes "...there’s not a ton out there." He advocates that the FO's best value move is Andrew Lambo. Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects adds that he thinks the Bucs are in a great bargaining position.
- The overall ability of the Pirate infield is discussed by Fangraph's Jack Weiland.
- Dave Cameron of Fangraphs examines the Freddy Freeman deal, and later in the article spends a few paragraphs explaining how much money the Bucs saved by signing Andrew McCutchen when they did.
- John Dreker of Pirates Prospects reports on a pair of Latinos the Buc scouts are following.
- William Tasker of The Flagrant Fan picks the five least valuable players based on the projection systems; Garrett Jones leads the list with a predicted .23 WAR.
- The Dodgers signed Paul Maholm to a $1.5M deal; we wonder if the Bucs missed the boat by not bringing him back to anchor the bottom of the rotation.
- Game on! Pitchers and catchers report tomorrow and begin camp Thursday.
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
The Daily 411...