Fiers had put together a string of nice starts until he hit roughs seas last time out against the Bravos. He picks up plenty of whiffs; he also walks a lot of guys and can surrender the long ball. The Bucs haven't seen him since early April when they laid a 6-2 loss on him. Mike hasn't fared real well against Pittsburgh, going 2-4 lifetime with a 6.12 ERA.
The odd part of the Brewer tale this season is the whupping they've taken at home, a regular house of horrors for the Pirates. Milwaukee is 22-24 on the road, but just 16-28 at Miller Park, a trend Pittsburgh hopes to continue. The game starts at 8:10 and will be on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- Jaff Decker, 25, got the call up from Indy. He's hitting .275 with a .364 OBP without much power, and plays all three OF spots. This is his third cup of coffee in the show; he was up with San Diego in 2013 and very briefly with the Pirates last season.
- Corey Hart came up to be evaluated by the Bucs while in rehab; he ended up being shut down again, per the Trib's Travis Sawchik, because of achy knees.
- From Opening Day to the All Star break, there have been some dramatic changes in the odds of making the playoffs. One of the big jumpers are the Buccos.
- Chris Cotillo has a piece on the intertwined paths of Mark Melancon & Brock Holt.
- Pretty sure you've heard, but the Franchise Four of the Pirates, picked by MLB, are Hans Wagner, Billy Maz, Willie Stargell and Roberto.
- In the International league ASG, 2B Alan Hanson went 1-for-2 and scored the winning run in a 4-3 victory over the PCL. LHP Blake Wood got the save, adding a little drama by walking a pair while whiffing one. C Elias Diaz also played and went 0-for-2.
- Dan Gamache of the Altoona Curve won the Eastern League All-Star home run derby. The infielder is hitting .300 with five HR, an unlikely suspect to take the crown. He went 0-for-1 in the ASG, walking twice. 1B Josh Bell went 1-for-4 with a walk and SS Max Moroff went 1-for-2 with a walk. RHP Jason Creasy had a rough outing, giving up three runs in an inning of work. The East won 5-4 on a sudden-death HR derby format after the game ended tied.
- Jake Seiner of MiLB has a piece on Tyler Glasnow, who's recovered nicely from a bum ankle, and it's showing on the hill. TG also is leads off BA's Prospect Hot Sheet for the week.
- Fifth round pick from Virginia, junior LHP Brandon Waddell, has signed with the Bucs for $315K, slightly under slot ($329K). He was assigned to the Morgantown Black Bears.
- Garrett Wilson of the Outside Corner discusses some playoff implications of MLB expansion.