- Per Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Pirates are one of "eight to ten" teams to show interest in Justin Masterson, who's said to be recovering nicely after shoulder surgery.No surprise; he's been on their list for a couple of off seasons.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe wrote of Mark the Shark: "He has been available all winter in the right deal, but as time passes, it seems more and more likely that Melancon, who led the majors with 51 saves last season, will remain a Pirate...Because the Pirates will again be playoff contenders, he may not be available at the trade deadline." So it's more than possible that the Bucs, if they remain in contention again, will keep Melancon all the way through his walk year.
|The Shark & Fran (photo Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)|
- Adam Berry of MLB.com has a piece on Fran Cervelli. He says he loves it here, but no extension talks yet - and this is his walk year.
- We wouldn't worry too much about John Jaso's effort to become a competent first baseman. He told the MLB Radio Network that one reason he chose the Bucs is because "It's exciting to put leather on my hand."
- CSN Chicago's Dave Andracki takes a look at the Buccos' off season with a quick peek at the Cubbies winter, too.
- Jim Callis of MLB.com looks for big things from Pirate prospects 3B Ke'Bryan Hayes and CF Harold Ramirez.
- Who knew? WV Black Bear manager and cup-of-coffee Bucco catcher Wayne Torregas is a member of the Chickasaw Nation.
- The Rangers have signed former Bucco C Michael "Fort" McKenry and LHP Donnie Veal, a Pirate Rule 5 claim from 2009, to minor league contracts. McKenry got a spring training invite.
- Dave Mackall of the Trib has a piece on Elizabeth native and Elizabeth Forward Warrior grad JJ Hoover of the Reds.