- John Perrotto in Knuckleball says the Pirates are hoping for a drop in price for Matt Latos, Cliff Lee and/or Mike Minor as they look to add to the rotational depth. You can probably add Justin Masterson and Doug Fister to that list. Lee, however, is looking for a hefty contract and Fister wants a two-year deal.
- Ouch! Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun Times said that Trevor Cahill turned down a two year offer from Pirates to start over his one year bullpen deal with Cubs for $4.5M. However, the Pirates salary offer wasn't given.
- The Kid may go to arb; he didn't sign a deal w/the Mets. Walker filed his asking price of $11.8M while the Mets countered with $9.4M, according to Jeff Passan. Matt Schwartz of MLBTR had his value pegged at the midpoint of $10.7M.
|Neil Walker 2014 Topps Heritage|
- What do the remaining 1B free agents have in common: Pedro Alvarez, Ike Davis, Corey Hart, Justin Morneau and Steve Pearce? Clint Barmes, Casey McGehee, Nate McLouth & Marlon Byrd are looking for spots, too.
- The Cards agreed to a $8.25M contract with 1B/OF Brandon Moss.
- Travis Ishikawa signed a MiLB deal with Seattle.
- Johnstown's Pete Vuckovich, who spent 20 years in the Pirate organization (pitching coach/Assistant to the GM) and a handful more with Seattle, joined the Arizona D-Backs as a pros scout.
- Brandon Wood, who suited up for the Bucs in 2011, was named manager of the Padre's short season Tri City Dust Devils.
- Interesting thought: SB Nation's John Sickels wrote that MLB rosters could be expanded in the upcoming CBA. One proposal being tossed about is expansion to a 28-man roster, with 25 men being active on game day. Teams could then sit starting pitchers who aren't available and rest players with minor injuries without resorting to the DL.