- Ivan Nova, 29, re-upped with the Pirates. The deal is reported to be for three years/$26M (including a $2M signing bonus) with another $2M in performance bonus money available annually. Nova slashed 5-2/3.06 ERA in 11 starts as a Bucco.
|He's back... (photo/Pittsburgh Pirates)|
- Free agent RHP Daniel Hudson, 29, signed a two-year/$11M deal w/$3M more possible over that span in annual bonuses based on games finished with the Pirates. The flamethrower (96 MPH fastball) came from Arizona, where his days as a starter ended after a pair of TJ surgeries. Pittsburgh plans to plug him into the back end of the bullpen, which was in need of a righty arm. Poor Brady Dragmire was DFA'ed by the Bucs (again) to clear a 40-man roster spot for Hudson, and was reclaimed by the Rangers.
- The Pirates claimed RHP Nefi Ogando off waivers from the Marlins and DFA'ed Jason Rogers. Ogando, 27, has been solid in the minors and has a live arm w/a mid-90s heater, but doesn't miss bats the way one would expect and is a wild child with control issues. Rogers never worked out, and David Freese's signing made him redundant.
- Pittsburgh is interested in the White Sox Jose Quintana - who wouldn't be? - and are apparently trying to make the pieces fit for a deal. He's another guy who is widely coveted around the league, although his asking price is sky-high.
- Jon Heyman tweeted that the Bucs are sniffing around RHP Tyson Ross, with the caveat that they're just one of 20-or-so clubs kicking his tires.
|Charlie Morton 2011 Topps|
- If you had any doubt that Charlie Morton's 2015 trade was a straight salary dump, doubt no more. The Pirates released RHP David Whitehead, 24, the return for Ground Chuck, after a year in the system. He slashed 5-8/7.52 between AA Altoona and short-season Bristol in 2016.
- Dean Treanor, the skipper at Indy since 2011, is returning to Miami as the big league bullpen coach. He managed in their minor league system prior to joining the Bucs and shares the Jim Benedict connection with the Fish.
- In related news, the Bucs minor league coaching staffs have been shaken, not stirred, this year. Justin Frazee of Pirates Breakdown has the moves.
- Alex Presley, 30, signed a minor league deal with the Tigers that included a big league invite. He played in 50 games for Milwaukee/Detroit (.198 combined) last year, spending the rest of the year in AAA.
|Michael Morse 2016 Topps|
- The Giants inked 1B Michael Morse to a minor league deal.
- The Padres re-signed LHP Clayton Richard, 33, to a one-year/$1.75M deal. His career was rejuvenated in 2015 by the Bucs, who gave him a shot at Indy after Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery and then sold him to the Cubs.
- 1B/3B Matt "The Hit Man" Hague, 31, signed a minor league deal with the Twins. Matt made brief MLB stops in Pittsburgh & Toronto before playing in Japan last season.
- The Pirates will hold a voluntary minicamp from January 9-13th in Bradenton. It'll be interesting to see who shows up.
- ESPN picked the Pirates Sunday, May 28th game vs the Mets at PNC for "Sunday Night Baseball" w/first pitch at 8:08 PM.