- 1982 - The Bucs’ home opener at TRS was canceled after an April blizzard rolled across the mid east. The Atlantic Coast was buried in an unseasonable snowfall, canceling several games, and though Pittsburgh avoided the worst, it still was pelted by 39 MPH winds and swirling snow. 1988 - Bobby Bonilla went long from both sides of the dish in a 14 inning 6-5 loss to the Phils at Veteran’s Stadium. It was the second time he’d done it, and only he and Dale Sveum have pulled off that feat for Pittsburgh. Bonilla went 4-for-7 with five RBI; the rest of his teammates stranded 13 runners.
|Sid was part of the 1989 Hurt Parade - 1989 Topps Big|
- 1989 - In a three-day span, the Pirates lost closer Jim Gott (elbow) and first baseman Sid Bream (knee) for the season, while CF’er Andy Van Slyke pulled his rib cage, losing a month and limiting his swing all year. A week later, catcher Mike LaValliere went down and missed much of the season, and the hobbled Pirates finished the campaign with just 74 wins.
- 1992 - Doug Drabek outdueled Montreal’s Dennis Martinez to earn the Pirates to a 2-0 win over the Expos in the Bucs home opener. Drabek helped his own cause with a two-out, RBI single in the second that along with Spanky LaValliere’s sac fly provided the margin of victory.
- 2000 - The Pirates beat the Astros 10-1 at TRS. Brian Giles went 5-for-5 with two homers, a triple, four RBI and three runs scored. Francisco Cordova didn’t give up a hit until after one was out in the eighth inning.
|Kris Benson Pirates Promo|
- 2003 - Kris Benson shutout the Phillies 2-0 at Veteran’s Stadium and ended Jim Thome’s streak of 60 consecutive games on base, the longest since Mark McGwire reached base 62 games in a row in 1995-96. Brian Giles and Pokey Reese drove in the Bucco runs.
- 2009 - Down a pair in the ninth at Busch Stadium, the Pirates rallied with two outs against Jason Motte to beat the Cardinals 6-4. With two away and Freddy Sanchez aboard, Adam LaRoche singled and pinch-hitter Eric Hinske doubled home Steady Freddy. Brandon Moss got plunked to jam the sacks, and Jack Wilson banged a three-run double to unjam them. Matt Capps came in to get the save for John Grabow’s win in the season Opener.
- 2013 - AJ Burnett lost a pitching duel to Clayton Kershaw 1-0 at Dodger Stadium. Burnett gave up the only run in the third on an infield single, stolen base and two-out grounder through the SS hole. Four Buc pitchers combined for 11 K, but Kershaw and friends countered with a two-hitter.
|AJ 2013 Topps Allen & Ginter|
- 2015 - “MLB Central” debuted on MLB Network. Not only was it the network’s first original content morning show, but it was the first to be aired from the channel’s state-of-the-art, 8,000 square foot Studio 21, named in honor of Roberto Clemente and his number 21 which was retired on this date in 1973.