- George King III of the NY Post reported that "Before claiming lefty reliever David Huff on Saturday off waivers from the Indians, the Yankees asked the Pirates about Mike Zagurski." The Bucs already had plans for the lefty, calling him up yesterday to nullify his June 1st opt-out date if still in the minors.
- Jared Stonesifer of Yahoo Sports wonders where and if J-Mac fits in down the road with the Pirates.
- Carson Cistulli of Fangraphs posted a podcast of a chat with Buc lefty Jeff Locke.
- Topping Grantland's Jonah Keri's All-Bargain team for 2013 - C Russell Martin.
- Remember when the top of the order was a huge question mark? Pittsburgh’s leadoff hitters currently rank first in the league in batting average (.305), second in hits (64), third in OBP (.366) and fourth in slugging percentage (.467) and runs scored (38)
- Bradon Inge played just nine games for Detroit last year, but before yesterday's match Tiger GM Dave Dombroski visited the Buc locker room and presented him with a 2012 ACLS ring. Pretty classy.
- Charlie Morton went five not-so-strong innings at Indy yesterday, giving up five runs (four earned) on seven hits and three walks with three K while tossing 88 pitches.
- At Altoona, James McDonald surrendered three runs in a Curve loss. J-Mac lasted two-thirds of an inning, giving up two hits and four walks before being taken out of the game after 33 pitches. One of his two outs was on a pick-off. He ended up with a blood blister during the outing, which may have affected his performance.
- Indy 1B Matt Hague was named the International League's Batter of the Week. Over a six-game stretch, Hague produced three multi-hit games, hit .360 (9-for-25) and led all IL batters with three home runs, eight extra-base hits and a .920 slugging percentage.
- Jim Callis of Baseball America has rundowns on Stetson Allie and Tyler Glasnow, Pirate prospects with a bullet, in his "Ask BA" column.
- Keith Law of ESPN has three Pirates - Gerritt Cole, Jameson Taillon and Gregory Polanco - among his Top 25 prospects. Tim Williams has a brief post regarding the picks at Pirates Prospects as Law's article is behind a subscriber wall.
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Lots of stuff today...