27 year old rookie Nicolino had a nice outing against the Phils last time on the hill, and has a rep as a contact pitcher, pulling a fastball, cutter and change from his toolkit. Pittsburgh has had its share of problems against change up tossers, so this could be an interesting match. The game starts at 7:10 and will be on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- Cutch has hit at least 20 home runs in five consecutive seasons, becoming the first Pirate to do so since Jason Bay from 2004-08. The only other players in Pirates history to hit 20 + home runs in five consecutive seasons are Willie Stargell (13 years - 1963 to 1976), Ralph Kiner (seven years - 1946 to 1952) and Frank Thomas (six seasons - 1953 to 1958).
- Andrew is in one of his zones: he has multiple hits in four straight games and in five of his last six contests.
- Joe Blanton extended his scoreless streak to 15-1/3 innings, the fourth-longest active streak in the majors behind Toronto's Brett Cecil (18-1/3 IP), pen mate Arquimedes Caminero (16 IP) and Houston's Tony Sipp (16 IP).
- Miami trails the season series by a 1-5 tally and are just 6-17 against the Pirates since moving to Miami.
- Anthony Castrovince put together his list of theMLB's Top Ten managers, and Clint's on it. Of course, so are Mike Matheny and Joe Maddon, and both ahead of our skipper.