Pitchers: Gerrit Cole (5-4, 2.77) comes off the DL to face Tanner Roarke (8-5, 3.01). Cole Train was pitching some of his best ball before his triceps problem, with a 2.33 ERA in his last five starts. He's looked ready in rehab at Indy, tossing eight shutout innings, giving up four hits, walking none, and fanning 12. Cole's been sharp against the Nats as he sports a 1.74 ERA in three starts, going 2-0 and getting deep with 20-2/3 IP. Tanner spent last year in Washington's pen after a 15-win 2014 campaign, and has stepped in a couple of times in the reliever's role to tide over the Nats this year. He's still capable of being a swing and miss guy, but he uses his two seamer much more this year and has had some success in getting weak contact.
|Hello, stranger...(photo Eric Risberg/Associated Press)|
Lineup: JJ 1B, Starling Marte LF, Cutch CF, Jung Ho Kang 3B, S-Rod RF, Josh Harrison 2B, Jordy SS, Eric Fryer C, Cole Train P. Gregory is still out. We're not sure if that's a good thing or not that he hasn't been DL'ed. Apparently the docs and FO think he's on the verge of returning.
- The Pirates announced Cole, d'oh, was activated from DL and Josh Bell optioned back to Indy.
- @BiertempfelTrib reported that the Bucs have been sniffing around at Yankee's back end starter Nathan Eovaldi.
- Elias Diaz's rehab is progressing nicely. He begins a stint at Altoona tonight.
- After a rough return following a shoulder strain that shelved him, Indy RHP Trevor Williams is in a zone. He's given up one run on nine hits over 20 innings in his last three starts.
- Cole Figueroa is a FA after clearing waivers following a DFA by the Dodgers.