- Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports: The FO added Edison Volquez to the roster on one-year, $5M contract, pending his physical.Volquez was super in 2008 and not so much since. Ray Searage will need to pull another rabbit out of his cap this year or end up with Jonathan Sanchez 2.0.
- Pittsburgh got Charlie Morton's name on a contract. It's guaranteed for three years ($4M - 2014, $8M - 2016,'16, with $1M buyout/$9.5M team option in 2017 with $500K in bonuses). So Ground Chuck will be a Buc for awhile.
- Seattle is doing a one-man wrecking crew job on the first base market. They just signed Corey Hart and traded for Logan Morrison (one will play the OF). That leaves James Loney with an ear-to-ear grin and the Pirates, Rays and Brewers all looking for 1B. James is the best of the FA class; guys available through trade are Ike Davis, Mitch Moreland, and Justin Smoak.
- Adam Rubin of ESPN was "told there aren't mystery teams with Ike Davis. It's Brewers, Rays and maybe Pirates. And Mets aren't giving him away. So it's standoff."
- Andrew Marchand of ESPN says the Bucs have shown some interest in Johan Santana.
- The Blue Jays were approached by the Pirates about 1B Adam Lind and asked about 2B Neil Walker in return. The talks quickly fizzled, two sources told sportsnet.ca.'s Shi Davidi.
- RHP Kyle Haynes became the PTBNL sent to the Yankees for C Chris Stewart. Haynes, 22, had a 2.38 ERA and 9.2 K/9 in 41 games for low-A West Virginia this past season, reports Bill Brink of the Post Gazette.
- The Rule 5 draft is tomorrow; the Buc 40-man roster is full, so it's not likely they'll pick up anyone.Rumors are that Indy reliever Zack Thorton could be lost during the day, though.
- Congrats, Cutch. As rumored, he got engaged to his girl Maria Hanslovan on the Ellen show.
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Day Three: Baseball Meeting - Signings, Rumors and Notes
More movin' and shakin'; and some Bucco bakin'...