- Jon Heyman of CBS Sports Baseball Insider reports that the Bucs are one of several teams that have kicked the tires of 3B Eric Chavez.
- Buster Olney of ESPN writes that "Pirates are resuming talks here about possibly signing James Loney," so maybe there's a little more than smoke coming from that hot stove.
- There are Plan Bs. From Fox Sports Ken Rosenthal: "Hottest teams on LoMo (1B Logan Morrison), per source: Brewers, Pirates, and Mariners. Others also involved."
- You can scratch Mark Trumbo from the Bucco wish list. Mark Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports a three way trade involving him: "The D-backs will be getting Trumbo and two PTBNL, OF Adam Eaton to the White Sox, and pitchers Tyler Skaggs and Hector Santiago to the Angels."
- Well, that was quick. Rob Biertempfel of the Trib understands "From what I'm hearing today, the Pirates probably are out on Bronson Arroyo."
- GM Neal Huntington confirmed to the media that first base is the spot they're concentrating on. He also said that the bullpen is in play as trade pieces, and mentioned Wandy Rodriguez has started a throwing program and is on schedule to be ready for camp. NH added that the Bucs weren't counting on Gregory Polanco in 2014, though we expect that's more to temper the fans' fire a bit than actual Pirate expectations.
- Clint Hurdle was a guest on MLB Network's Hot Stove show, discussing the "State of the Pirates."
- Pittsburgh took three GIBBY (Greatness In Baseball Yearly awards): Mark Melancon won the set-up player of the year, Francisco Liriano took home the comeback player honors, and the Pirates were selected as the storyline of the year for their October run.
- Jon Morosi of Fox Sports tweets that Felix Pie is nearing an agreement with Hanwah Eagles of the Korean League.
- Jason Bay might be headed to Japan to play with Yomiuri Giants, per Greg Johns of MLB.com.
- OF Rajai Davis, whose trade to the Giants in 2007 for Matt Morris finally upended Dave Littlefield's applecart, has signed a two year deal with Detroit worth a reported $9-10M.
- The Bucs announced their full schedule of events and players for Pirate Fest at the DLL Convention Center December 14-15th.
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Day Two: Baseball Meetings, Rumors, Notes & GIBBY Winners
A few rumors and news notes from Day Two...