The lineup: Starling Marte LF, Travis Snider RF, Cutch CF, Pedro 3B, Russ Martin C, Neil Walker 2B, Travis Ishikawa 1B, Jordy Mercer SS and Volquez P.
The game will be aired at 7:10 PM by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- Cutch didn't talk to the media after the game, but reentered the clubhouse walking fine after suffering ankle discomfort in the eighth inning. It appears that Clint was just erring on the side of caution; Cutch is in today's lineup.
- Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal wonders if the Pirates could sign either Stephen Drew or Kendrys Morales after the draft in June, at which point they wouldn't have to worry about the draft-pick forfeiture attached to each of them. After a quiet offseason, the Pirates should have the financial wherewithal to pursue a bigger-name player.
- Beginning last night, the Pirates are scheduled to play either the Brewers or Reds every day for the next two weeks, through Thursday, April 24th.
- The Pirates have played the most one-run games in the Majors this season, going 5-1 in the six games decided by one run, and eight of their first 10 games have been decided by two runs or less. Last year the Bucs went 29-23 in one-run games and 54-39 in games decided by one or two runs.
- The Pirates have hit eight homers in the last three games, accounting for all their runs. The first five were solo shots and the last three have been with men aboard.
- From Elias Sports: Aramis Ramirez' 31st home run last night against the Bucs is the most against Pittsburgh by any player after leaving the team. Oddly, Barry Bonds ranks only fourth on that list (22), behind Ramirez, Moises Alou (27), and Gus Bell (24).
- Gregory Polanco's hitting streak is at eight games, he has five multi-hit contests and his OBP is sitting pretty at .486 for Indianapolis.
- Ryan Palencer of Pirates Prospects has a piece on Andrew Lambo and the adjustments he's making at the plate after an icy spring and a slow start at Indy. He's heating up thanks to a return to the basics and a renewed commitment to putting in the work.
- Luis Heredia was roughed up in his first start at West Virginia, and was pulled today after one pitch, so we'll see whassup with that.
- Jonah Keri of Grantland has a good piece on the surge in TJ surgeries. He points to several suspected causes, but at the end cites the possibility of the baseball gods at work.
- Ex-Bucs: The Phils released IF Brian Bixler.