Pitchers: Ryan Vogelsong (3-4, 3.56) works the middle game against Luke Weaver (1-2, 3.86) in another matchup of an old warhorse and a frisky colt. Vogey hasn't gotten through the sixth in his last two outings and has walked seven in his last 10-1/3 IP. He's only faced the Cards once this year, and that was out of the bullpen. Weaver was the Cardinals' first-round pick in 2014 draft, putting up a 1.40 ERA in AAA, and was called up August 13th to replace Michael Wacha. The 23 year old is susceptible to the long ball, but has showed his stuff by averaging 11 K/nine. He's been workmanlike and gone six innings in his last two outings.
|Vogey hopes to stop the bleeding tonight (photo Dave Arrigo/Pirates)|
Lineup: Josh Harrison 2B, John Jaso 1B, Cutch CF, Gregory Polanco LF, Jung Ho Kang 3B, Matt Joyce RF, Jordy SS, Stew C, Vogelsong P. Some more shake up - Fran's hurt, Starling is due for a R&R day, JHK and JJ are back in the saddle...mad scientist Clint is trying to create the Franken-lineup.
- Pittsburgh called up pitchers Tyler Glasnow, Drew Hutchison and Trevor Williams along with IF Pedro Florimon. The latter two weren't on the 40-man, so the Pirates DFA'ed pitchers Curtis Partch and Kelvin Marte. The new arms will be tossed into the pen for now, with possible starts coming as the season wears down and the IPs for Taillon and Kuhl pile up. Gift Ngoepe and Dovydas Neverauskas frittered away their MLB shot in Toledo; hope they enjoyed their beer 'n' brawl.
- Fran's thumb was wrapped after yesterday's game and he's being evaluated on a day-to-day basis; he bruised it blocking a ball. Elias Diaz is being treated for an infection. Here's hopin' Stew and Eric Fryer can avoid any schrapnel.
- The news regarding Neftali Feliz is that he's playing catch, and after the game Clint said Chad Kuhl's issues deal with "fatigue," not injury. Dead arm, maybe?
- Jared Hughes is the Pirates' nominee for the 2016 Roberto Clemente Award as the player who "best exemplifies the game of baseball, sportsmanship, community involvement and the individual's contribution to his team."
- Guess who pitched at the Chavez Ravine last night for the Dodgers? Chavez (Jesse) Ravin (Josh).